[libvirt] test driver for interface config

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 19:17:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:01:14PM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 16:50 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > The test impl needs to be within libvirt so it is always available no
> > matter whether netcf is available for the build, so it shouldn't use
> > netcf at all.
>
> For the time being though, netcf not being available also means that the
> virInterface calls won't do anything with any other driver, since there
> is no other driver impl.
>
> It makes more sense to me to use netcf during testing until there is a
> different implementation of the virInterface API - at that point that
> impl and the test driver will also be able to share a lot of code, so
> that we don't have lots of test-only code.

We certainly need a way to test netcf & the driver using it, but that's
not what the 'test' driver in libvirt is for. It is solely for unit
testing of  libvirt driver internals, remote client, remote daemon and
virsh, and end user applications. The test driver is intended to be
entirely self contained, providing 'in-memory' implementations of the
core API logic, and as such using netcf in any of this is not appropriate
Functional testing of the netcf based driver is something that will be
done separate from the test driver