[libvirt] test driver for interface config

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 07:42:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:37:51AM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 04/10/2009 06:47 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 02:21:20PM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> >
> >>So, in the interest of getting the most useful stuff into the code in
> >>the shortest time, here is a proposed schedule of what to do when. All
> >>of these things will be done before the entire task is considered
> >>complete, but some will be finished 2 releases from now rather than for
> >>the next release. Each of the steps will be committable in their own
> >>right, thus allowing maximum use before release:
> >>
> >>1) implement a live interface driver that is simply a passthrough to
> >>netcf, no parsing/formatting of XML, just a conduit. This will give us
> >>something that can demonstrate the new functionality and be useful.
> >>

> >I'm afraid this isn't really going to fly. The libvirt public interface
> >is defined by C library API/ABI, and the XML format. To provide the
> >guarenteed stability & consistency of this interface across releases,
> >we need to have the XML parser & formatting included in libvirt & used
> >by all the driver impls.
>

> Yes. I completely agree. I'm just saying that can't be done by the end
> of next week (isn't that when the freeze for the next release will be?),

I don't see  any compelling reason why we absolutely must have
this ready for next release. I prefer to wait until the code is
more developed than rushing to meet an unneccessary artificial
date. I know this is listed as a Fedora 12  feature, but there's
many months yet before feature freeze for that release, so plenty
of dev time yet.