[libvirt] error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Mon Aug 3 06:56:48 UTC 2009

Hi

I am running kvm-78 with libvirt 0.6.1 and see the following error from
time to time when my linux-ha cluster tries to run "virsh domstate" to
figure out a virtual machine's state:

error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

In syslog, I see:

libvirtd: 23:39:11.357: error : Failed to set close-on-exec file
descriptor flag

Due to this error, the cluster assumes the machine is not running okay
and reboots it in order to fix things.

This happened twice in 2 months with 10 machines being queried like that
each minute (read: not too well reproducable)

What is this and how could I work around it or is this fixed in newer
versions and so worth an upgrade?

Regards
Dominik