[libvirt] libvirt-0.3.3-14.el5 (redhat rpm) vs libvirt-0.6.5 (source)

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 06:22:29 UTC 2009

Jim Bergensen wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking to write a simple php interface to create, stop, start,
> restart, configure, backup, transfer VM's across a network of servers.
> Storage is done locally on the particular node (lvm), but I am
> considering to do this through iscsi in the future. Xen, KVM, IP
> management, firewalling is an important requirement.
>
> The redhat backport version looks outdated, but I know the version
> number isn't the best way to compare features.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - Featurewise, is the difference between the redhat version and the
> libvirt.org <http://libvirt.org> source version small or as big as it
> looks (branch versions?)

Feature-wise, it's actually kind of small.  Most of the changes in the Red Hat
version are bug-fixes and the like.

> - Considering the above functions I am going to need, will the redhat
> version suffice?

Almost certainly not.  Since 0.3.3, many, many things have been added, and the
KVM support in 0.3.3 is rudimentary at best.  Your best bet for now is going to
be using the upstream code.

--
Chris Lalancette