[libvirt] Is it possible to use more then 2 CPUs in the guest?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 11:36:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:11:07AM +0200, Mirko Raasch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in my server i use an Intel Quad Core CPU and i want to use in one
> WindowsXP guest all 4 cores.
> The device manager shows four CPU (Qemu Virtual CPU version 0.10.5).
> When i start prime95 or superpi, only 2 of them are in use. CPU-Z shows
> also 2 Cores, instead of 4 like the device manager.

I don't know what those apps are, but they sound broken to me. If the
guest has been launched with 4 virtual CPus, the guest OS should be
able to use them, regardless of what your host core/socket/thread cpu
topology is. KVM/QEMU allow upto 16  virtual CPUs IIRC, and this is
totally independant of how many physical CPUs you have.