[libvirt] Is it possible to use more then 2 CPUs in the guest?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 16:19:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 05:53:01PM +0200, Gerrit Slomma wrote:

> I could test what is detected by windows if i choose another cpu-model
> than "qemu" when invoking kvm.
> Couldn't it made possible to choose the cpu-model via libvirt?

We do have an RFE to choose the CPU model in libvirt, but that wouldn't
let us specify topology, since QEMU doesn't allow that to be expressed
via its -cpu arg at this time.

I've just been pointed to this proposed enhancement to QEMU for
choosing topology:

  http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/33961/

That discussion is still ongoing, but once its settled we'll be able to
look at supporting it in libvirt too.