[libvirt] Share storage using iscsi [EDIT as I cut off part]

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 19:17:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 03:03:12PM -0400, Dave Allan wrote:
> As a side note, I don't object to creating functionality to allow
> libvirt to manage iSCSI targets, extending the volume create/delete code
> to interface with the target.  However, I don't want to try to create
> code to manage every possible iSCSI target.  If you wanted to submit a
> patch to libvirt to do the kind of target management you're looking for,
> I would support that effort, and I'd be happy to work with you to set up
> a framework for plugging in code to manage whatever arrays anybody
> wanted to support.  You're not the only person to want that
> functionality, and if it's done in a well-defined way, I think it would
> be a good thing.  Others on the list might have different opinions.

That's quite an interesting idea, but it doesn't neccessarily have to be
done inside libvirt itself.

For example, we could add lifecycle events to the libvirt storage APIs,
so that a application can receive a notification if a pool is created/
deleted/started/stopped, and also notifications when volumes are created
or deleted within a pool.

With that, you could easily write a standalone daemon that listened to
the events and automatically updated a iSCSI target's LUNs when volumes
in a particular pool are added/deleted. Or created/delete targets
automatically when libvirt pools are added/deleted.

I think this'd be quite a nice little daemon/service to have, providing
a simple iSCSI target service you can use in conjunction with libvirt.