[libvirt] OS Eject & Removable Media

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 21:02:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:21:14AM -0700, Jacob Leaver wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> First, I'd like to thank everyone that's working on the libvirt project,
> it's certainly making my life a better place.
>
> Second, (there's always a second, eh?) I am using libvirtd 0.6.4 and KVM
> qemu-kvm-0.10.5, and when a guest OS ejects media, libvirtd doesn't seem
> to pick up the change.
>
> Looking through the API, I don't see a provision to probe for a list of
> block devices, so although qemu and kvm know about media changes, I
> don't think there's a way for libvirtd to know about them.

Yeah, that's pretty much the problem in a nutshell. No notificatons
from QEMU

The only immediate option i see is to run 'info block' every time we
invoke virDomainGetXMLDesc(), in order to check if the CDROM media has
been ejected. Mildly disgusting, but probably doable.

> Also, I have a couple of minor and hackish patches for the ruby bindings
> for attaching and removing devices, if someone's interested.

By all means send them to this list & we'll take a look & commit them
if reasonable.