[libvirt] "type 'hvm' & arch 'i686' combination is not supported" error

Frederik Himpe fhimpe at telenet.be
Mon Feb 23 14:13:34 UTC 2009

I recently updated for libvirt 0.4.6 to libvirt 0.6.0. Now several of the
virtual machines I defined, are not shown in virt-manager nor by virsh
list --all, although the config files are still in /etc/libvirt/qemu. I
tried to run virsh create, and this error is shown:

libvir: Domain Config error : internal error os type 'hvm' & arch 'i686'
combination is not supported

This configuration was working perfectly with libvirt 0.4.6. I needed to
change i686 to x86_64 in all config files of 32 bit systems to make them
work again. Is there no way libvirt could migrate those configuration
files automatically?

--
Frederik Himpe