[libvirt] Adding VirtualBox support to libvirt

Pritesh Kothari Pritesh.Kothari at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 26 14:26:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

As mentioned in the earlier mail, I have started the work on
adding Virtualbox support to libvirt. I have completed almost
all the basic functionality. Currently I can start, shutdown,
reboot, list and suspend/resume the domains.

Now I am in the process writing code for creating/defining the domains
and thats where i need some help. I am not familiar with the exact XML format
required. I have gone through the docs at http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html
as well as the code and have few question regarding the same as below:

Is the XML format for defining the Domains common to all the hypervisors? If
not then how should I start about defining it for Virtualbox?

What exactly does the tag <os_type>xen</os_type> exactly mean? how can xen,
hvm, etc be an os type?

why virDomainCreate doesn't actually create the domain but it just starts it?
(virDomainCreateXML actually creates it)

The rest of my question are more general and not related to XML def.

In src/qemu_driver.c:qemudGetVersion() why does the qemu driver have to take
the lock, i mean what can change while extracting the version info? is there
any specific reason? (this is true for other drivers like openvz, uml, etc as
well )

I am using dlopen() and friends to open the VirtualBox library at runtime, is
it ok? cause I didn't see any driver doing something like this.

Regards,
-pritesh