[libvirt] adding bandwidth control support

Max Zhen Max.Zhen at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 6 03:14:42 UTC 2009

Jim Meyering at 2009-1-5 23:50 wrote:
> Max Zhen <Max.Zhen at Sun.COM> wrote:
>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm working on adding bandwidth control support in
>>> virt-install/virsh/libvirt on Xen.
>>> This support can allow setting bandwidth control in dom0 (I'm working on
>>> Solaris dom0 now) for virtual nic devices used in a domU.
>>> I've attached my design in this email.
>>> Basically, this design is about how to represent bandwidth limit
>>> information in command line for virsh/virt-install and how to represent
>>> it in current XML configuration file for a domU.
>>>

> Hi Max,
>
> Can the vif "rate=..." setting do what you want?
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Tips_and_tricks-Limit_network_bandwidth_for_a_guest.html

Hi Jim,

Yes, that is my first step to support bandwidth control in Solaris dom0
(by leveraging 'rate=' in '.py' config file working with xm).
But, since virsh/libvirt is much more popular now, I think that it would
be a good idea to support bandwidth in libvirt.
This is why I'd like to add it to XML format config file :).
What is your concern to support rate option in XML file?

Max