[libvirt] Bridge interface and script

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 10:54:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:26:52PM +0000, John Levon wrote:

> With current libvirt, it's not possible to specify a script for
> VIR_DOMAIN_NET_TYPE_BRIDGE. Is this just an oversight, or intentional?

That's intentional - if you want to use a generic network script then
use the type=ethernet style of network config instead of type=bridge

> We use the bridge type with Solaris virtual NICs, and need to specify
> the correct script to use.

Internally when sending the SEXPR to XenD for type=bridge, we do include
the (script) argument automatically with a value 'vif-bridge'. Likewise
when parsing the SEXPR into XML, we set the 'type=bridge' attribute if
the script name is 'vif-bridge', otherwise we set type=ethernet to
indicate a custom, admin defined networking setup.

> Suggestions on how to fix this? Should I just add script handling to
> this net type?

If the Solaris VIF setup script isn't called 'vif-bridge', then we can
just #ifdef the alternate name required for Solaris & everything else
should just work