[libvirt] adding tests....

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Mon Jan 12 13:18:05 UTC 2009

"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Indentation looks off-by-2 there.
>>
>> Good catch.  I had TABs there.
>> Fixed.

>> > Using qemu:///session here is fragile because it'll see
>> > all existing user defined vms/network/storage/etc. Use
>> > the test:///default  driver instead (or test:///path/to/custom/config.xml)
>>
>> I wanted to exercise a "real" drivers, not always test://.
>> How about using an unlikely pool name instead, i.e.,
>> via this incremental:
>
> That's only one issue. When you start up libvirtd it is going to run
> autostart on all configured vms/networks/pools. We really don't want
> to be booting configured VMs, and then tearing them down after a few
> seconds. The unit tests should restrict themselves to testing things
> which won't have any impact on the host system. Anything else needs
> to be part of a functional/integration test suite, which is better as
> a standalone test suite you can run on any OS with libvirt - not just
> a development tree, so you can test the complete system is functional

When I run "make check", it's almost always as a non-root user,
so there's no risk of this libvirtd running system-related things.

However, I guess you'd like to accommodate the root-run "make check", too?
It's good to recommend against running tests as root, unless absolutely
required, because of the potential risk.

Along those lines, how about if I just arrange to skip this test
when euid == 0 ?