[libvirt] Compiling on Windows with MinGW/MSYS

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 12:52:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 01:23:38PM +0100, Brecht Sanders wrote:
> I know I'm outside the envelope. But envelopes need to be pushed
> sometimes in order to get things ported.

I didn't mean to discourage you, just to note that you're likely the
first to try this.

> I'm not looking to run Xen on Windows at all.
> However, I have implementations with Xen on Linux server where all the
> other systems in the network run Windows. So I am looking for a Xen
> manager that runs on Windows purely to manage Xen running on another
> system.
>
> How would the remote driver work then exactly? Does it need some sort of
> proxy on a Linux system?

Right, so you want libvirtd running on the managed target system!
This is exactly the scenario that we support on Windows.

When you use a connection URI such as xen://somehost/, the connection
is routed through the remote driver to the libvirtd daemon listening
on the target ('somehost').  There is no need to configure the Xen
driver in the Windows client libvirt for this, since everything
involving Xen is done on the target.

There's lots more to say about this, such as security, port numbers,
transports etc. but it's better for you just to read the documentation
here:

  http://libvirt.org/remote.html

(Not all transports are supported on Windows -- in particular, ssh
transport, and SASL probably don't work at the moment, although we
will try to make both work at some point in the future).

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top