[libvirt] sharing multiple identical USB devices?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Jan 15 21:41:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have Windows XP running on Fedora 10.

I can successfully share a single USB-to-RS232 converter by inserting
this in my xml file:

           <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb'>
             <source>
               <vendor id='0x0403'/>
               <product id='0x6001'/>
             </source>
           </hostdev>

However, I can't seem to get two of these to work at the same time. I
want to do:

           <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb'>
             <source>
               <vendor id='0x0403'/>
               <product id='0x6001'/>
               <address bus='0x03' device='0x02'/>
             </source>
           </hostdev>
           <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb'>
             <source>
               <vendor id='0x0403'/>
               <product id='0x6001'/>
               <address bus='0x03' device='0x03'/>
             </source>
           </hostdev>

using the "address" stanza to identify the devices uniquely, but it just
doesn't work. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

With the two device setup, Windows still only assigns one serial port to
one of the devices, and none to the other.

- Mike