[libvirt] RFC: configuring host interfaces with libvirt

Kaitlin Rupert kaitlin at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jan 30 23:41:48 UTC 2009

David Lutterkort wrote:
>>> Note this line.

>> Sorry to chime in so late...  the virtual network support only allows
>> the user to define bridges with NAT/routed forwarding.
>
> I tripped over this the first time, too; to put words in Mark's mouth,
> he meant 'bridge' here in the sense of a 'vritual network'. He calls a
> bridge with one enslaved physical NIC a 'shared network interface' (and
> doesn't much care for bridges with more NIC's ;)

Ah, okay. This makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

> After talking to NM people, there doesn't seem to be a concern with NM
> compat - they are fine with the more explicit representation of a
> bridge.
>
>> Would the still behave as a virtual network pool in this case?  If
>> multiple guests are tied to the same bridge, it would be useful to
>> represent this as some kind of pool or grouping.
>
> Not sure what you mean here ... with all this, you'd still set your
> guests up the way you do today, with appropriate sources for their
> network interfaces, e.g. <source bridge='br0'/>

Would there be the bridge equivalents of
virConnectListNetworks()/virConnectListDefinedNetworks(): a way to list
the available bridges?

After reading through all the mails again, I believe this is what's
being proposed, so I think I might have answered my own question. =)

--
Kaitlin Rupert
IBM Linux Technology Center
kaitlin at linux.vnet.ibm.com