[libvirt] adding bandwidth control support

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Jan 9 17:18:11 UTC 2009

Max Zhen <Max.Zhen at Sun.COM> wrote:
> Jim Meyering at 2009-1-5 23:50 wrote:
>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> Can the vif "rate=..." setting do what you want?
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Tips_and_tricks-Limit_network_bandwidth_for_a_guest.html
>>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Yes, that is my first step to support bandwidth control in Solaris
> dom0 (by leveraging 'rate=' in '.py' config file working with xm).
> But, since virsh/libvirt is much more popular now, I think that it
> would be a good idea to support bandwidth in libvirt.
> This is why I'd like to add it to XML format config file :).
> What is your concern to support rate option in XML file?

Hi Max,

In principle, I have no objection at all.
Since you didn't mention the "time window" parameter
discussed there, I wondered if you'd seen it.

As long as we're looking at extending the interface XML, are there other
things to consider, like interface bonding and failover?  This is QoS
oriented, so should we consider something more sophisticated than a one-
or two-parameter bandwidth control?