[libvirt] RFC: configuring host interfaces with libvirt

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Sun Jan 18 18:48:47 UTC 2009

Hi David,

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 22:23 +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
>  > > <bridge name="br0" stp="off" onboot="yes">
> > >   <member device="eth2"/>
> > >   <dhcp peerdns="yes"/>
> > > </bridge>
> >
> > I don't think we want to define a bridge here, but more that an
> > interface is shared - i.e. this is a property of eth2.

Note this line.

> > The main concern is that this is the way I'd expect NetworkManager to
> > support it - i.e. that you could configure NetworkManager to share eth0,
> > rather than ask it to create br0 and add eth0 to it.
> >
> > If you just want to create a bridge, you can creati a virtual network.
>
> Is it possible to use DHCP to configure the bridge device itself using
> that, similar to what's described in [1] ? And have guest's DHCP
> requests forwarded across the bridge ? The docs only talk about static
> IP assignments for the bridge device.

That configuration is what I'm calling a "shared physical interface".

I wouldn't be surprised if NetworkManager could only be used for this
exact configuration rather than any possible variation of bridge
configuration.

Which is why I'm suggesting just using a "shared" property on a
interface - this property would imply the creation of a bridge.

Cheers,
Mark.