[libvirt] Upcoming 0.6.5 release and switching the main SCM engine (to git)

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 09:54:38 UTC 2009

  A couple of things I wanted to raise.

- First we have a release 0.6.5 at the end of the week, so we are in bug
fix mode, it would be good if people could make a round of testing of
the latest CVS/git version or the snapshot at
   ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-cvs-snapshot.tar.gz
The snapshot generation was proken in the previous months but I fixed
it today.

- Another point is that we use CVS as the SCM, that's historical, that's
what I was used to when I created the project but clearly most people
now use the git mirror (or mercurial) to generate their patches. I tried
to assert how much git was prevalent, at least for patches embedded
within the mail content a large majority are git generated:

  paphio:~/Mail -> tail -100000 libvir | grep "^diff" | wc -l
  268
  paphio:~/Mail -> tail -100000 libvir | grep "^diff" | grep -- '-git' | wc -l
  182

that doesn't account mails which are attached and base64 encoded but
I think it's reasonnable to conclude most of people sending patches
generated them out of a git tree. CVS certainly show its age, too !
  So my plan would be to switch out of CVS and make git the primary
SCM, Jim Meyering is already maintaining the current git tree, so the
plan would be to create a new main git tree on libvirt.org based on the
existing git://git.et.redhat.com/libvirt.git tree, maybe fixing a couple
of things in the process, and desactivate the CVS server after a couple of
week grace period. I think once the decision is taken it's better to
do it earlier than late, and I'm thinking that this could be done
earlier next week if Jim schedule allows and there is no objection. That
would allow to manage the set of patches for the following release only
under git and not need an SCM transition in the course of preparing
0.6.6 (or 0.7.0).

- Speaking of the following release, I'm shooting for a slightly smaller
development cycle, in order to be able to push the next version in time
for Fedora 12 Beta, this means a new release at the end of July, so only
a bit more than a couple of weeks for pushing the changes, I really hope
we will be able to include a first version of the ESX driver and Power
Hyprvisor, if it's the case I think it will be worth bumping the release
name to 0.7.0 .

   Feedback and opinions welcome, I hope git is not too uncontroversial :-)