[libvirt] Switch from CVS to GIT is done

Garry Dolley gdolley at arpnetworks.com
Mon Jul 6 21:02:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 02:42:59PM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   Thanks to Jim Meyering we now have a new git repository, I deprecated the
> CVS repository, it's read only, you should still be able to keep it
> around to make patches for a few weeks if needed.
>   The new repo is at:
>     http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=summary
>
> Unfortunately Jim had to clean up the conversion from CVS that was
> used previously at git://git.et.redhat.com/libvirt.git so the two
> are not compatible and the best is to clone a new tree using
>
>    git clone git://libvirt.org/libvirt.git
>
> and then copying over your set of patches with "git format-patch" in the
> old dir and "git am" to paste them into the new cloned-dir (Jim can
> certainly provide more details if needed).
>
>   Let us know if you see something weird in the new tree or on the web
> site, I have updated the download informations at
>    http://libvirt.org/downloads.html
>
> A few things may change but I guess the switch is done at this point,
>
>   Many thanks to Jim for maintaining the old tree and the migration !

Now that we're using git, we can make a distinction between Author
and Committer, automatically.

When people create patches with 'git format-patch' and send them to
this list for inclusion, the patch will include them as the Author.

When Daniel, et. al. then applies the patch (with 'git am' or
similar method), they will be the Committer.

This is nice because 'git log', 'git shortlog', etc... will give the
appropriate credit to the author, and the committer doesn't need to
keep writing in the commit msg who the patch came from.

Just an FYI to those new to git.

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181