[libvirt] libvirt and physical hardware devices

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Jul 8 21:45:52 UTC 2009

On 07/08/2009 05:01 PM, Arjun Roy wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I am interested in finding out what kinds of physical hardware data
> can be pulled out of libvirt at present.
> In particular, I'm interested in sourcing:
>
> 1.  All the processor information that would be revealed from
> /proc/cpuinfo
> -cpu #
> -core #
> -# cores total
> -model
> -family
> -cpuid_lvl
> -speed
> -cache
> -vendor
> -flags
>
> 2. The following network device paramters:
>
> -interface name
> -mac address
> -current ip address
> -current netmask
> -current broadcast
> -current link bandwidth
>
> This post
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2009-June/msg00236.html)
> seemed promising at least wrt. network stuff, and I was wondering if
> it ever went anywhere.
>
> So my overall questions:
> 1. Is this data (specifically, all of it) tracked and exposed by
> libvirt at present?

For networking, the first two items will be available in the next
release of libvirt.

The last 4 are not. Yet.

> 2. If not, are there any plans to do so?

Yes, the discussion you point to petered out due to everybody being
pre-occupied (it may have continued longer on the netcf mailing list),
but it's definitely intended to go in. If I recall correctly, the plan
is to add that functionality to netcf, then publish it via libvirt's
RPC. lutter - am I remembering correctly?