[libvirt] F11 and KVM Migrations

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 08:43:25 UTC 2009

Scott Baker wrote:
> On 07/08/2009 02:02 PM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:21:53PM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
>>> I have two host machines on the same subnet, and I have
>>> /var/lib/libvirt/images shared between the two via NFS. I'm trying to do
>>> a "migration" from one host to another and I'm getting an error.
>>>
>>> virsh # migrate --live Narwhal qemu+ssh://10.1.1.1/system
>>> error: operation failed: failed to start listening VM
>>>
>>> That's from the host running the VM to the new host. I'm assuming you
>>> have to do a "push" migrate, not a "pull"? Where can I look next to
>>> figure out why it didn't work?
>>    Hum that sounds familiar, what versions of libvirt are you running on
>> both nodes, look at /var/log/libvirt/qemu/Narwhal.log on the target for
>> informations. I suggest to make sure that you get up2date and similar
>> versions on both sides to avoid extra troubles.
>
> Host 1: libvirt-0.6.2-12.fc11.x86_64
> Host 2: libvirt-0.6.2-12.fc11.i586
>
> Both machine are 64 bit, Host 2 is just running i386 code. Will that be a
> problem?

Yeah, that's just not going to work.  In theory it might work, but it's never
been tested, so I'm not surprised it doesn't.  In general migration is extremely
finicky when it comes to CPU versions, and versions of the software.

If you are interested in debugging it more, I would suggest stopping libvirtd on
both sides, starting them back up by hand with:

LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/libvirtd --verbose --listen

And then re-running your test.  That will dump lots of debugging information on
both machines, and you might be able to get somewhat of a better idea of what is
happening.

--
Chris Lalancette