[libvirt] Can not shutdown and reboot KVM virtual machine

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 08:36:35 UTC 2009

Zhang Qian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found I can not shutdown and reboot VMs in my KVM box.
>
> It seems I can shutdown a VM which has guest OS installed, but can not
> shutdown the VM which has no guest OS installed.

This is more or less expected.  The way that shutdown works with KVM/Qemu is to
inject an "ACPI button pressed" event into the guest domain.  It's then up to
the guest domain to interpret that and do the appropriate thing.  So if there is
no guest installed, then there is probably no acpid (or equivalent), so there's
nothing to react to the ACPI message.

That being said, if there is no guest OS installed, then there is no data to
worry about.  Why don't you just use virDomainDestroy()?

> Reboot can not work with this error message:
>     this function is not supported by the hypervisor: virDomainReboot

Right, this hasn't been implemented yet since it hasn't been implemented in
underlying qemu/kvm yet.

--
Chris Lalancette