[libvirt] virsh migrate with libvirt-0.5.1: failed to start listening VM

Charles Duffy Charles_Duffy at messageone.com
Tue Jul 14 18:13:03 UTC 2009

Scott Baker wrote:
> You're supposed to have /var/lib/libvirt/images mounted via shared
> storage (nfs/cifs/etc) on both machines.

I've heard of folks having trouble doing live migration over NFS --
something with stronger concurrency guarantees (GFS, a shared iSCSI or
FC mount [possibly with cLVM to partition it up], etc) is likely to be a
safer bet.

(Indeed, looking at the documented preferred environment for VMware's
VMotion is probably a good guideline for anything that's going to be
trusted with real production usage -- a separate bonded pair of NICs on
each host, connected to a dedicated network for communication with the
SAN hosting the backing store).