[libvirt] Create a new VM from an existent image?

Jun Koi junkoi2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 06:24:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

To use libvirt, I am strying to use virt-install to create a new VM
from an existent (KVM) VM image. I did the following steps:

1) run libvirtd with "libvirtd -d" (I use the latest libvirt git tree)

2) Run virt-install (0.400.3) with my existent image in img/img.winxp

# virt-install --import -n winxp -f img/img.xp3 --vnc --hvm
--accelerate --ram 800

However, this step returns error like:

"ERROR    Could not find usable default libvirt connection."

Actually I am not sure that is the right way to use the new --import
option with virt-install. So that might be the problem?

All the code are updated, and compiled from source on Ubuntu 8.04. Any help?

Thanks a lot,