[libvirt] changing files in /var/lib/libvirt/images

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sun Jul 19 14:41:41 UTC 2009

Assume I am working with virtual disk image files in /var/lib/libvirt/images
such as removing a file, defining a new file (with qemi-img create or qemu-img
convert), or simply copying a file ("cp") from elsewhere such as VMware.  When
I do this, Guest definition or adding hardware to an existing guest under virt-
manager does not "see" the file change.  That is, until I terminate virt-
manager and restart /etc/init.d/libvirtd.

Is there some better/easier/less-disruptive means of notifying "whatever" that
the list of files has changed?

I noticed that
     /etc/init.d/libvirtd force-reload
has no effect.

I also notice that restarting libvirtd and/or terminating and restarting virt-
manager while there are guests running really screws things up.

If such a "means" does not exist, should one be created? [should this be an
RFE in bugzilla?]

Gene