[libvirt] changing files in /var/lib/libvirt/images

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Jul 20 11:41:51 UTC 2009

On Monday 20 July 2009 05:19:36 Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:41:41AM -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> > Assume I am working with virtual disk image files in
> > /var/lib/libvirt/images such as removing a file, defining a new file
> > (with qemi-img create or qemu-img convert), or simply copying a file
> > ("cp") from elsewhere such as VMware.  When I do this, Guest definition
> > or adding hardware to an existing guest under virt- manager does not
> > "see" the file change.  That is, until I terminate virt- manager and
> > restart /etc/init.d/libvirtd.
> >
> > Is there some better/easier/less-disruptive means of notifying "whatever"
> > that the list of files has changed?
>
> You're looking for:
>
> virsh pool-refresh POOLNAME
>
> > I also notice that restarting libvirtd and/or terminating and restarting
> > virt- manager while there are guests running really screws things up.
>
> It should not have any ill-effects if you have libvirt >= 0.6.3. It is
> designed to be allowed to be restarted at any time & re-sync its state
> upon startup.
>

> NB, there should be no need to ever restart libvirtd for anything other
> than changes to /etc/libvirt/libvirt.conf, or /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf.
> Everything else should be able to be handled via SIGUP (service libvirtd
> reload), or virsh commands like pool-refresh.

Thanks ... pool-refresh seems to do the trick and is what I was looking for.

Comment:

Doing "virsh -h" lists a lot more capabilities than are list in the virsh man
page.  Furthermore, looking at available documentation on http://libvirt.org/,
I do not see any info there about these new capabilities either.

Other than the source code, can you point me to some documentation so I do not
keep having problems/questions which are already addressed by the code?

Googling around, I found http://libvirt.org/storage.html ... however, this is
NOT listed on the main page of the website http://libvirt.org/ and it still
does not describe the capabilities in virsh.

More than likely, this is a "work-in=progress" and documentation has not been
created for the latest capabilities yet.

Gene

Gene