[libvirt] VMware ESX driver progress

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 08:02:17 UTC 2009

2009/7/22 Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 05:24:09PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 04:58:50PM +0200, Matthias Bolte wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > the development was hindered by our testing cluster being offline
>> > since 2 weeks due to server room cooling system maintenance. But I
>> > finally got a basic version of dump-XML done, that fills all fields of
>> > the virDomainDef that the VMX file contains data for.
>>
>> What is a 'phantom'  URI / connection ? eg
>>
>>              esx:///phantom
>
>  I wondered that too, my guess was that it was a way to work without an
> actual ESX server (possibly during the cluster being offline :-)
>  I didn't finished my review that was one of my questions :-)

Yes, esx:///phantom helped to develop esxVMX_ParseConfig(), because
the VMX <-> domain XML mapping doesn't require an actual connection to
the hypervisor.

The phantom URI allows to refer to the ESX driver without referring to
an actual physical machine and without the need to provide login
information. Its currently intended use case is this:

virsh -c esx:///phantom domain-xml-from-native vmware-vmx dummy.vmx

Regards,
  Matthias