[libvirt] XenStore fix

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 12:07:10 UTC 2009

On 07/28/09 12:28, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>> Going to the Hypervisor first will just re-introduce the bug
>> shown in this mail you quote:
>>
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/libvir-list@redhat.com/msg09855.html
>> ie, the Hypervisor will report a domain exists, while XenD will
>> claim it wouldn't, and thus virsh will print out lots of errors

>    The real question is why xend should stop reporting about domains that
> are still present at the hypervisor level. Except for state transitions
> taht smells fishy to me !

One case where this happens is domain shutdown.  xend shuts down the
domain, cleans xenstore.  xen can't zap all pages owned by the domain
because some pages are still referenced.  xen will report the domain
until all references are gone, although the management knows nothing
about it.

Usually it takes only a very short time until all references are dropped
(basically the backends have to notice the frontend is gone and release
all grant mappings).  It may take longer or not happen at all though.
Which indeed indicates a bug somewhere.  Still it may happen.  I suspect
you can trigger it using "kill -STOP xenconsoled".

cheers,
   Gerd