[libvirt] Feature request? Console tunnelling..

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 10:17:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 02:57:45PM -0700, r-c at rocketmail.com wrote:
> Hello libvirt-list..
>
> Firstly I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question, I
> tried the IRC channel but didn't get any response...
>
> Anyway, currently libvirt has console functionality built into it
> that can be used on a Dom0 e.g. 'virsh console xenU' to connect
> and open guest xenU's console. I think it would be excellent if
> there could be a feature added to the libvirt daemon to operate
> this console externally! E.g. from an external machine I can do
> (in python) something like: domain.openConsole() .readConsole()
> .writeConsole() flushConsole()... hopefully that could be very
> nice to implement a remote Ajaxterm with more security and no
> reliance to run unnecessary services on the Dom0 since libvirtd
>  is already running :-)
>
> I hope this makes sense, but if you perhaps thinks I going about
> this the wrong way please let me know!

Not at all. Tunnelling consoles will actually be incredibly easy once
I finish off adding the generic data streams API support in libvirt
and the libvirtd daemon.

My work in progress data stream APIs are being updated at this
location

http://gitorious.org/~berrange/libvirt/staging/commits/data-streams

This is the same stuff we're using for the secure migration stream
support too