[libvirt] PATCH : Opennebula documentation

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Wed Jul 1 17:36:08 UTC 2009

Hi

Thanks for the comments!!!.

Regarding EC2:

(Short Background). In OpenNebula, a domain can be defined with a
local set of images (DISKS) and with their EC2 counterparts (AMIs). So
depending on your requirements and the status of your cluster the
OpenNebula scheduler may decide to deploy the VM locally using the
"DISK" description or remotely in EC2 using the AMI. So to some extent
we have a dual description for the same VM, one local and one remote.

(OpenNebula driver Status) Currently there is no a straightforward way
to express that semantics with the libvirt XML. We have tried EC2 by
directly assuming that a disk is an ami and so on. So this is doable,
however:

(Issues) An EC2 instance comprises not only the AMI (which could be
defined with DISK and type="ami" for example) but the type (e.g. small
which translates to a given memory and CPU), the allowed ports to
connect to the instance, the key pair ID to ssh the VM or the IP from
the elastic IP pool.

(Solutions) we can either extend the attributes for example type="ami"
for the DISK element type="eleasticip" for the interface attribute and
so on. But some attributes would be missing (instance type or
keypair). However, OpenNebula can be configured to provide defaults
for them. We could also have an special element related to an EC2
description that collects all the EC2 deployment parameters...

Cheers!

Ruben

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 03:10:23PM +0200, "Abel Míguez Rodríguez" wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached is the OpenNebula driver documentation and a patch. The main Documentation file is "drvone.html.in" along with it a patch that includes: the API supported by the driver, an entry at "Documentation>Drivers" and a link to the documentation at "drivers.hmtl.in"
>
>  Okay the patch looks fine :-)
> For the .html.in well, it would be nice if OpenOffice could use
> lowercase tags in it's HTML output to stay closer to XHTML, after
> passing it though xmllint --html this looks more in line with the
> other docs (except for the generated meta tags but since they are
> ignore in the transform to the final XHTML pages no big deal) so
> that's the version I will commit.
>
>  A couple of suggestions for improvement:
>    - provide at least a couple of links to http://opennebula.org
>      on some of the "OpenNebula" words at the beginning so people
>      can get more information easilly
>      I added one such link before the commit
>    - libxmlrpc-c3 might be the Debian dependancy, for Fedora that's
>      xmlrpc-c and I doubt the -devel version is needed for deployment,
>      only for compilation.
>    - the Xen example is not the most promising one, after all people
>      can already run paravirt xen with libvirt, EC2 access on the other
>      hand is more likely to interest OpenNebula user on libvirt, isn't
>      it ?
>

>  Applied and commited,
>
>  thanks !
>
> Daniel