[libvirt] Switch from CVS to GIT is done

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Jul 6 15:13:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 16:19 +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> yeah, I think moving ChangeLog to ChangeLog.CVS and generating the
> logs starting from today at "make dist" time is probably the best, it
> will avoid copying over redundant informations.

Cool.

> On the other hand we
> should try to keep the git log output coherent with the previous
> format.

FWIW, I think it's best to switch to a new format that better suits git.

e.g. "git log --pretty=oneline" can be very useful, but only where
people properly summarise the commit on the first line. If we used the
typical ChangeLog format, it would be useless. Also, we don't need the
date and author information twice.

II think git commit messages generally more genuinely useful information
than a ChangeLog entry - it seems to encourage people to more fully
explain what they're doing.

If we switch formats, 'git log --stat' is fine for Changelog - you get
author, date, files changed etc.

Cheers,
Mark.