[libvirt] turn off dnsmasq

Mike Power Mike_Power at intuit.com
Tue Jul 7 16:18:51 UTC 2009

I have a series of kvm vms I am running via libvirt.  I have bind9 and
dhcp3-server installed and I am happy with their configuration.

The problem I have is that dhcp3-server and dnsmasq are currently
fighting over who hands out the ip address.  My vms work when they get
their ip from dhcp3-server, and they fail when dnsmasq hands out the ip
address.

Unfortunately I can not get dnsmasq to stop handing out ip addresses.
This is the configuration of my default network:

        <network>
          <name>default</name>
          <bridge name="virbr%d" />
          <forward/>
          <ip address="192.168.122.1" netmask="255.255.255.0">
          </ip>
        </network>

Notice in the ip tag the optional dhcp tag is missing.  Thus dnsmasq I
thought, was supposed to leave well enough alone.  It doesn't.

I can turn off dhcp3-server and start up a host.

What I see in the syslog is:
Jul  7 08:52:21 vmhost dnsmasq[3420]: DHCPREQUEST(virbr0)
192.168.122.244 52:54:00:8f:7c:a4
Jul  7 08:52:21 vmhost dnsmasq[3420]: DHCPACK(virbr0) 192.168.122.244
52:54:00:8f:7c:a4 host1000

Then when I run ifconfig on the host1000 vm, it has an ip address that
it obviously got from dnsmasq.

I just need dnsmasq to stop handing out IPs, how do I do that?

Mike Power