[libvirt] libvirt and physical hardware devices

Arjun Roy arroy at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 21:01:48 UTC 2009

Greetings.

I am interested in finding out what kinds of physical hardware data can
be pulled out of libvirt at present.
In particular, I'm interested in sourcing:

1.  All the processor information that would be revealed from /proc/cpuinfo
-cpu #
-core #
-# cores total
-model
-family
-cpuid_lvl
-speed
-cache
-vendor
-flags

2. The following network device paramters:

-interface name
-mac address
-current ip address
-current netmask
-current broadcast
-current link bandwidth

This post
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2009-June/msg00236.html)
seemed promising at least wrt. network stuff, and I was wondering if it
ever went anywhere.

So my overall questions:
1. Is this data (specifically, all of it) tracked and exposed by libvirt
at present?
2. If not, are there any plans to do so?

I know it is possible to find out this data using /proc/cpuinfo and the
various socket ioctls, but would like to avoid relying on those if possible.

Thanks,
-Arjun Roy