[libvirt] F11 and KVM Migrations

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 21:30:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 02:05:11PM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
> On 07/08/2009 02:02 PM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:21:53PM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
>>> I have two host machines on the same subnet, and I have
>>> /var/lib/libvirt/images shared between the two via NFS. I'm trying to do
>>> a "migration" from one host to another and I'm getting an error.
>>>
>>> virsh # migrate --live Narwhal qemu+ssh://10.1.1.1/system
>>> error: operation failed: failed to start listening VM
>>>
>>> That's from the host running the VM to the new host. I'm assuming you
>>> have to do a "push" migrate, not a "pull"? Where can I look next to
>>> figure out why it didn't work?
>>
>>    Hum that sounds familiar, what versions of libvirt are you running on
>> both nodes, look at /var/log/libvirt/qemu/Narwhal.log on the target for
>> informations. I suggest to make sure that you get up2date and similar
>> versions on both sides to avoid extra troubles.
>
> Host 1: libvirt-0.6.2-12.fc11.x86_64
> Host 2: libvirt-0.6.2-12.fc11.i586
>
> Both machine are 64 bit, Host 2 is just running i386 code. Will that be a
> problem?

  yes that can be a problem !

> If I check Narwhal.log there is nothing in there at the time of the
> migration error. Nothing in messages either. As far as I can tell it just
> fails silently.

  Maybe we need to resurrect the idea of the pre-migration check
Also is Narwhal still running on Host 1 after the operation failed,
based on the error message I assume the error shows up after a fair
amount of time spent sending the domain state between both nodes, right ?