[libvirt] How to pass not xml parameters from Libvirt to Xen in xml definition

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 13:08:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:50:35AM +0200, Alexandre CABROL PERALES wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> i need to define cpuid parameter for a specific Xen Virtual Machine.
> This parameters doesn't exist in libvirt definition.
>
> So how can i add this "unknow" parameter in virtual machine's xml
> definition to be able to manage it from virt-manager?

  There is no such bypass mechanism. If the feature us needed, then
it need to be recognized and supported at the libvirt API level, in
order to keep interface coherents and protect from hypervisor specifics
or changes in said hypervisors.

  You need to explain why this parameter makes sense at the API level,
if it is generic enough support will be added (we usually take patches).
If this is a workaround against a problem or a deficiency in a specific
version of the hypervisor, the workaround is usually implemented in the
libvirt driver but not exposed at the API level. The goal is to abstract
and alleviate problems, not to inflict them permanently.