[libvirt] Re: [fedora-virt] ANNOUNCE: New release virt-manager 0.8.0

"Ján ONDREJ (SAL)" ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Jul 29 11:03:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:30:41AM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 29/07/09 11:21, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
>
>> And one thing, which can make me happy. When I am trying virtual machines, I
>> often reinstall existing one. Then I need to boot from network and after
>> installation again from disk. I can't test new gPXE until it will work with
>> my F11 kernel, may be it's better with this, but with currently functional
>> bootrom I can't boot from disk if network boot is enabled and vice versa.
>> If my guest is set to boot from disk (after previous installation)
>> and I need to reinstall it, I have to do these steps:
>>
>>    - click details panel (i)
>>    - click "Boot Options"
>>    - click on "Boot Device" menu
>>    - select "Network (PXE)" and confirm (click)
>>    - click "Apply"
>>    - click back to guest console
>>    - click start (play button)
>
> That's not a virt-manager issue, it's a qemu issue I assume.
>
> It works for me though - if I have network boot selected that I can
> bring up the boot menu with F12 and select the hard disk instead?
>
> What I suspect you may be referring to is the fact that if you don't
> have network boot set as the default then the F12 boot menu doesn't
> include the network option - so you can't be set to boot from the hard
> disk by default and then choose to boot from network instead using the
> boot menu.
>
> I too find that rather annoying, but as I say it is (I believe) a qemu
> issue rather than a libvirt issue.

I agree. On a real PC, I can press "F12" key to boot from PXE or to select
different like preset boot device.

But virt-manager can simplify change to/from PXE, for example:
  - change input box for boot device to radius buttons
  - remove "Apply" button and apply automatically (at least if possible)

			SAL