[Libvirt] VNC auth per VM

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 08:37:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 04:05:39AM -0400, Jim Paris wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:35:00AM +0200, Christian Weyermann wrote:
> > > Hello everybody,
> > >
> > > I encountered the following problem. I want my users to only be able to
> > > connect to their own virtual machines via VNC. Is there any way to do so?
> >
> > The VNC authentication setup is currently being done per-host, so there
> > is no way to define ACLs per-(user,vm) tuple as you describe.
>
> What about the VNC password?
> That's per-VM, isn't it?

That is true by I don't really consider VNC password to be useful. It is
utterly insecure. If you want to have plain passwords, then its better to
use the new SASL authentication method, with its Digest-MD5 plugin. That
is still not top-grade security, but it is better then VNC password and
allows configuration of arbitrary Username+pasword pairs.. At which point
we just need ACLs against the usernames. SASL also provide Kerberos auth,
where we can do an ACL against the Kerberos principle name. And VeNCrypt
provides TLS+x509 certificates which you can either layer SASL over again,
or require client x509 certs and do an ACL against the client CNAME.