[libvirt] Re: Future release schedule

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 20:03:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:18:40PM +0200, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> 2009/6/16 Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com>:
> >  One thing I wonder is about progresses on the ESX driver front, it was
> > looking fairly close to be commiteable, basically only XML import/export
> > was needed but I didnt see any news recently, Matthias do you have a
> > schedule for that missing part ? Any help is needed ?
>
> Well, I was busy with some other parts of the project. Also took care
> of some issues with the ESX driver that showed up during tests like
> silent session timeouts.

  Okay :-)

> I'm currently checking the VI API to see where to gather the
> information for dump-xml, but it seems one needs to read most of it
> from the .vmx file of a virtual machine located on the host. Luckily
> all files of a virtual machine are readable via HTTP:
> http://example-esx-host.com/folder/... So the .vmx file is easily
> accessible using libcurl.

  Somehow I was expecting the informations to be available as return
values from some of the SOAP calls, but maybe this is actually simpler

> Luckily (again) there is some unofficial documentation about the VMX
> format available: http://www.sanbarrow.com/vmx.html

  yup, interesting :)

> Within the next few days I'll post a proposal on how to map a .vmx
> file into the libvirt xml representation.

  Cool, thanks !
I hope the vmx parsing won't be too troublesome, seems there are things
like parameters, I hope this won't turn to be too complex.

> For create-xml the ESX driver would need to write a .vmx file to the
> ESX host, because the .vmx file is essential to create a virtual
> machine. Luckily (once again) the ESX host allows putting files to
> http://example-esx-host.com/folder/... via HTTP.

  Okay, that sounds good ! Thanks for the quick feedback !