[libvirt] Re: Future release schedule

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 10:19:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:18:40PM +0200, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> I'm currently checking the VI API to see where to gather the
> information for dump-xml, but it seems one needs to read most of it
> from the .vmx file of a virtual machine located on the host. Luckily
> all files of a virtual machine are readable via HTTP:
> http://example-esx-host.com/folder/... So the .vmx file is easily
> accessible using libcurl.
>
> Luckily (again) there is some unofficial documentation about the VMX
> format available: http://www.sanbarrow.com/vmx.html

Yeah the VMX file format is quite straightforward to read / write.
We already do a similar thing for Xen's configs in /etc/xen - the
raw config file parsing code for that is in src/conf.c, and the code
to convert XML <-> XM Config is in src/xm_internal.c

> Within the next few days I'll post a proposal on how to map a .vmx
> file into the libvirt xml representation.
>
> For create-xml the ESX driver would need to write a .vmx file to the
> ESX host, because the .vmx file is essential to create a virtual
> machine. Luckily (once again) the ESX host allows putting files to
> http://example-esx-host.com/folder/... via HTTP.

Again, sounds pretty straightforward & a reasonable way to go.