[netcf-devel] [libvirt] [RFC] Reporting host interface status/statistics via netcf/libvirt, and listing active vs. inactive interfaces

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Jun 18 18:22:16 UTC 2009

On 06/18/2009 01:53 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 18:06 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 04:06:40PM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>>

>>>    We should allow standalone IPv4 and IPv6, or both. Each could either
>>> use DHCP or allow one or more IP address and routes.
>>>
>> You need to have allow for IP adddresses & routes to be present even
>> when doing DHCP, because you need to discover what was auto-configured.
>>

> That only makes sense when reading an existing config, with the meaning
> 'the interface uses DHCP when it is brought up, and has the following
> address currently assigned to it'; it makes no sense when using the XML
> to configure a device.
>
> I would prefer for that case a separate API call to ask for currently
> assigned addresses.

I agree that the API call to retrieve the current configuration should
be separate from the API call to retrieve the current state of the
interface. If you mix them, a "get config / write config" pair would no
longer be a NOP (for example, you would end up with the IP
addresses/routes obtained from DHCP being written into the config file,
and that can't be good.)