[netcf-devel] [libvirt] [RFC] Reporting host interface status/statistics via netcf/libvirt, and listing active vs. inactive interfaces

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 18:14:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 05:45:33PM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 17:17 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > >   Trying to digest that long discussion maybe there is a solution:
> > >
> > >   - Dan thin a pure tree representation is not sufficient to express
> > >     all relationships between interfaces
> > >   - Dave would like to preserve the ability run the checks on a single
> > >     XML instance
> > >
> > > I think both can be accomodated but that requires a slight change of
> > > API, i.e. the XML will be able to define a set of interfaces. Basically
> > > we could do
> >
> > Urgh, no I think that's even worse. I'd prefer either of the 2 options
> > we've currently discussed over that.
>
> Agreed .. that format wouldn't help much with static checking.

  Okay, well I think the recursive definition is really the worse
for validation and processing.
And

  <interface>
  </interface>

  <interface>
  </interface>

  <interface>
  </interface>

 Means 3 distinct XML documents, and that you can do no static checking
 at all at least at the XML level. So I don't understand why you say
it can't help with static checking.