[libvirt] Can't scale XP on remote

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 09:12:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 04:02:05PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:
> sean darcy wrote:
> >Just starting out with an XP guest on Fedora 11 kvm. I'm using
> >virt-manager to connect from a laptop.
> >
> >Server:
> >kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
> >qemu-*-0.10.50-6.kvm86.fc11.x86_64
> >libvirt-0.6.4-2.fc11.x86_64
> >
> >On the laptop:
> >virt-manager-0.7.0-5.fc11.i586
> >libvirt-0.6.2-11.fc11.i586
> >
> >The console comes, and XP runs fine. But, screen is scaled too large
> >vertically for my laptop screen which is 1280x800.  Only with fullscreen
> >can I see the bottom menu bar. I would have assumed I could change the
> >size of the screen (even if not the aspect ratio), but I can't.
> >
> >Am I doing something wrong, or is this just The Way Things Are?
> >

> Is this the wrong list for this question? Or is there some FM I should Read?

The logic in the virt-manager and virt-viewer UI for scaling isn't really
behaving nicely at this time. I have work in progress for virt-viewer to
make it do a much better job in particular maintaining aspect ratio while
scaling. Once that's working I'll do same to virt-manager

In the mean time best solution is to reduce the resolutiuon in the XP
guest itself, which will be honoured by the virt-manager window