[libvirt] problems with remote authentication with policykit

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Mon Jun 22 05:54:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:20:40PM -0400, Jim Paris wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > We close the socket to the 'nc' process here so in theory it should
> > be getting a HUP event from poll or EOF from read, etc and then
> > exiting. Ominously though I see several patches to Fedora's 'nc'
> > RPM at least one of which is related to nc hanging forever after
> > getting HUP fback from poll(). What distro are you using ?
> >
> >   http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/nc/F-11/
>
> I'm using Debian.  I've already had to switch from the
> "netcat-traditional" package to the "netcat-openbsd" package.
> Debian does already include that patch, but what a mess...
>
> Since already know libvirtd is installed on the remote host,
> would it make sense to just add a new set of options:
>       libvirtd --socket-connect
>       libvirtd --socket-connect-ro
> that do the same thing as "nc -U" on the appropriate socket?
> Then we know it would work everywhere, and have the added
> benefit that the client wouldn't need to know the location of the
> socket.
Last time I checked Debian's nc wouldn't properly close the scoket on
EOF so I added this to virt-manager:

-            argv += [ server, "nc", vncaddr, str(vncport) ]
+            argv += [ server, "nc", "-q", "0", vncaddr, str(vncport) ]

The problem you're seeing suggests that we need this in virsh too.
Could you check if this helps?
Cheers,
 -- Guido