[netcf-devel] [libvirt] [RFC] Reporting host interface status/statistics via netcf/libvirt, and listing active vs. inactive interfaces

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 20:37:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 10:50 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> libvirt does not require that all functionality is present on
> all platforms. So as long as an error is raised if the user
> requests an unsupported configuration, we're fine.  As for the
> XML question, libvirt requires 100% backwards compatability so
> its XML format is essentially "append" only, existing features
> cannot be dropped/changed.

This is also the intent for netcf's XML (warning: neither the XML format
nor the API can be considered stable yet, but I hope that we get to that
point very soon)

As for backend differences, we definitely need to address them on a
case-by-case basis, weighing the headache of dealing with different
backends with different feature sets against the importance of that
feature.

David