[libvirt] VMware ESX driver status update

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 10:03:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 05:26:45PM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > One problem here is the essential guestOS field of the VMX config, see
> > http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-guestos.html . For a first try I would
> > set it to 'other' by default, because there is currently no field
> > available in the domain XML to map this information to. But to allow
> > the user to set this filed, I would want to extend to domain XML
> > definition in order to reuse existing code. So how would I do this?
>
>   Hum, that need to be though out a bit, as we do the same kind of
> things at the higher level (e.g. virt-install) and then convert that
> to various tweaks in the XML. I think Cole was starting to write a
> library to ease making per OS guest definitions, maybe we need to
> bring this down to libvirt level. I doubt the format at the XML level
> will be very hard, it's more a problem of making the information
> database available globally for the whole stack, either within libvirt
> or as a component that can be called consistently from top to bottom.

The information at the virt-install level is alot of fine grained,
and currently planed to be based of the full release name of each
OS. I don't think there's any need to pull the full information into
libvirt - this library cole is writing is actaully standalone and
independnat of any particular tool. What we really need to figure
out is how to map/cross-reference there data where needed.