[libvirt] virsh edit error

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Thu Jun 4 22:03:14 UTC 2009

In an attempt to rename a kvm vm (which was powered off) I performed
the following:

$ virsh edit old-name

and quit from the editor.

$ virsh list --all

 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
 -  old-name            shut off
 -  new-name          shut off

Performing an edit on each of these shows they're completely
identical. Even the <name> section shows the old-name on both of them.
I've performed restarts of libvirtd as well.

If the action I did is truly invalid, we should catch that an error
out on it. However I think VM renaming can be a valid use case and we
have the UUID to match off of for the rename. Basically, I'm
contacting the list to see if my use case was invalid and I should
write my patch to spit an error, or if I should write my patch to
correct the improper handling. Patch to follow based on responses.

Thanks all.

--
Doug Goldstein