[libvirt] virsh edit error

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 09:30:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 05:03:14PM -0500, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> In an attempt to rename a kvm vm (which was powered off) I performed
> the following:
>
> $ virsh edit old-name

> and quit from the editor.
>
> $ virsh list --all
>
>  Id Name                 State
> ----------------------------------
>  -  old-name            shut off
>  -  new-name          shut off
>
> Performing an edit on each of these shows they're completely
> identical. Even the <name> section shows the old-name on both of them.

> If the action I did is truly invalid, we should catch that an error
> out on it. However I think VM renaming can be a valid use case and we
> have the UUID to match off of for the rename. Basically, I'm
> contacting the list to see if my use case was invalid and I should
> write my patch to spit an error, or if I should write my patch to
> correct the improper handling. Patch to follow based on responses.

What libvirt version have you got ? We recently added a patch to
explicitly refuse this scenario of sanme UUID, but different names

    /* See if a VM with matching UUID already exists */
    vm = virDomainFindByUUID(&driver->domains, def->uuid);
    if (vm) {
        /* UUID matches, but if names don't match, refuse it */
        if (STRNEQ(vm->def->name, def->name)) {
            char uuidstr[VIR_UUID_STRING_BUFLEN];
            virUUIDFormat(vm->def->uuid, uuidstr);
            qemudReportError(conn, NULL, NULL, VIR_ERR_OPERATION_FAILED,
                             _("domain '%s' is already defined with uuid %s"),
                             vm->def->name, uuidstr);
            goto cleanup;
        }

It also refuses  case of different UUIDs, but same names.