[libvirt] Can't scale XP on remote

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 02:53:25 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I don't understand the distinction you are making between the "Server"
> and the "laptop". Are these separate physical machines? Can you explain
> this more -- what is this "Server" and how does it function? I'm
> wondering if I'm missing something important in my own virtualization work.
>
> How did you get libvirt 0.6.4? I only have 0.6.2:
>
> [rlc at deafeng3 ~]$ rpm -q libvirt
> libvirt-0.6.2-11.fc11.x86_64
>

> Perhaps you got it through updates-testing?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob
>

> On 06/07/2009 05:21 PM, sean darcy wrote:
>> Just starting out with an XP guest on Fedora 11 kvm. I'm using
>> virt-manager to connect from a laptop.
>>
>> Server:
>> kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
>> qemu-*-0.10.50-6.kvm86.fc11.x86_64
>> libvirt-0.6.4-2.fc11.x86_64
>>
>> On the laptop:
>> virt-manager-0.7.0-5.fc11.i586
>> libvirt-0.6.2-11.fc11.i586
>>
>> The console comes, and XP runs fine. But, screen is scaled too large
>> vertically for my laptop screen which is 1280x800.  Only with
>> fullscreen can I see the bottom menu bar. I would have assumed I could
>> change the size of the screen (even if not the aspect ratio), but I
>> can't.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong, or is this just The Way Things Are?
>>
>> sean

The server is a desktop server that runs qemu-kvm and libvirt. I connect
to that server from my laptop using virt-manager.

For newer spins, koji is your friend. Try
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=104926, get the
src.rpm and rebuild.

BTW, top-posting makes posts hard to read,

sean