[netcf-devel] [libvirt] [RFC] Reporting host interface status/statistics via netcf/libvirt, and listing active vs. inactive interfaces

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 19:42:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:22:13PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 19:24 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > IP address information should be in the XML, and indeed surely it is
> > already there in order to allow non-DHCP  based IP address config
> > on interfaces ?
>
> Yes, for statically configured interfaces, the IP information is in the
> XML - that is the _configured_ IP info though, not necessarily the one
> that the interface actually uses. The two can diverge, for example, if
> an interface is already up and then reconfigured.

  BTW I was looking at the Relax-NG grammar and found the following
confusing when providing an IP address:

        <element name="ip">
          <optional>
          </optional>
        </element>

I'm not really sure what ip-mask really means, are you trying to
put in a single attribute both the IP address and the netmask ?
If that's the case I would really suggest to split the two as separated
IP and netmask in the XML structure, either separate attributes or
another element for the netmask. Best to us the explicit structure of
XML than a construct hidden inside the text field, unless I
misunderstood the use case...

  Sorry for hijacking :-)